Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rejoice. Pray. Give Thanks. Repeat.

The truth is life can be hard.  Not really a profound statement.  But on some days, the idea of getting out of bed makes me sick. 

Many thoughts run through my mind before starting my day.

Really? I have to do this all over again?

It’s not fair.

I don’t want to.

What’s the point?

Too tired.

Sometimes my thoughts get deeper and more directed at God.

            I’m just going to fail like I did yesterday.

            I see no progress, no growth, and no change. Where are you?            

            Do you not see how distressed I am?

            Why would you put me somewhere that I hate?

            Is this really for my good? 

            Why is it this way? Why couldn’t it be the way someone else has it?


We all have these moments. Lately,  it seems like it's been my way of life.  I see no growth, no progress, and no change.  I understand that as a Christian, I need to be refined.  This means being stripped bare, tossed in the fire, and cleansed of those things that are ugly.  Oh, there are ugly things in my life.  

I find myself desperately seeking to stay away from anything that makes me uncomfortable or causes me pain.  I have not experienced pain or suffering to the degree that many people I know have.   But I hate being uncomfortable. I know; I am incredibly selfish.

I believe that each person’s struggle is different.  Our suffering is made for us.  It’s made to bring God glory.  My suffering is different from yours because God saw that this was the best way to make HIM look good in my life. 

But here is my problem. Knowing that suffering is good for me and believing that it is good for me are two different things.  If I truly believe it, I would change my attitude.  More than often, I am caught between those two things.  I get tired of people reminding me “Joy is a choice” or “God’s plans are for your good”.  Yes these are true.  I’ve grown up hearing these things.  I’ve read it in God’s word.  But why does my heart remain bitter when sorrow and difficulty accompany every day tasks?

The only answer I have been able to come up with is that I don’t pray as I ought.  Instead of approaching the source of my renewal, I complain. I become angry.  I cry.  I take it out on people I love and care about.  I’m tired of staying in this place of knowing what I need to do and not doing it. 


Rejoice always; pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.          (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
                      

What if I lived this way?

Rejoicing always? That seems impossible in my circumstance.

Praying all the time? How do I actually do that?

Giving thanks in everything? Won’t I run out of things to be thankful for?


These three things: Rejoicing, Praying, Thanking.  These are God’s will for me.  It’s time I take it seriously.  In the face of hardship, I know that I can rejoice. I know that I can pray to my loving Savior.  And I know that I can always give thanks no matter the circumstances.  The truth is all there and it’s time to live by this verse.  It's an endless cycle.  













2 comments:

  1. Cassie, you remind me so much of my daughter, Elisa. In fact, when you get home from college, I'd love for you and her to met, I think you two would become friends.
    Good bless you, hon.
    Kriie (a friend of your mom, who posted this blog on FB. I can see why she's so proud of you!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kriie! That is so sweet of you to say! I would love to meet you and your daughter sometime!

      Delete